The renovations for the new Erie Water Authority Administration Facility began with an abandoned fish hatchery building built in the early 1900’s. The building is located on the grounds of the beautiful and historic Italianate complex of buildings on Erie’s waterfront.
The structure was gutted to the exterior walls and additional space was gained by infilling a third floor in the roof truss area and adding dormers, stair towers and an elevator shaft.
The result is a dramatic interior space with walkways and bridges on both the second and third floors—looking down to the lobby below, and lit by a new glass clerestory monitor. Existing structural columns and trusses were used as emphasized architectural element throughout the building. The building allows spectacular view of Erie’s beautiful bay front.